Staff recommendation: Steve (May 2021)
"Imperial Assault is a great hybrid of both board game and tabletop miniature styles, also spanning multiple games types; RPG/Campaign, 1v1/Competitive and free app driven Co-op campaign. So it really has something for everyone;
- Want to get into the miniature hobby? The Starter Set comes with 34 miniatures, including iconic characters Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. Offering a heap of hobby potential.
- Don't want to play a miniatures game? The gameplay is set on tiles, so no scenery or tape measures, with easy to understand rules.
- Want to play a role playing-esque campaign, run by a Gamesmaster (Imperials) and up to 4 players (Rebels)? This aspect of the game includes levelling up, loot and story arc progression, through increasingly tough scenarios. The campaigns are tree style, so offers some replayability, and you can buy expansions for new campaigns.
- If you want to play a co-operative game, up to 4 players can play, with the Imperials run via a free app "Legends of the Alliance", which works surprisingly well! The app provides new campaign content.
- Want a competitive 1v1 game? A great skirmish game exists with roster building and deck building aspects, and heaps of Ally and Villian packs to expand your rosters.
I can't recommend this game highly enough, and for the price point has possibly the highest replayability of any boardgame. Board Game Geek ranks Imperial Assault at #47 overall (as of 2021)."